When dental patients in the Hartford, CT area need inlays and onlays for dental restoration, they seek the help of Dr. Anatoliy Ravin with Hospital Dental Group (HDG). Dr. Ravin offers extensive restorative and cosmetic dental options to help repair teeth, resulting in an attractive, confident smile. As part of his offerings, Dr. Ravin provides durable, lasting porcelain inlays and onlays.
What’s the Difference Between Porcelain Inlays and Onlays?
When a tooth has been subjected to tooth decay resulting in a cavity, your dentist may recommend a porcelain inlay or onlay to fill the tooth. The difference between the options depends on the extent of damage to the tooth.
- Inlay’s Purpose
- Cover the grooves of a tooth in-between and surrounding the areas of the cusp. This type of restoration is prepared outside of the mouth by making impressions of the area. Once the inlays are returned from the dentist, they’re secured by either cement or affixed with a light-cure.
- Onlay’s Purpose
- Cover a larger surface area of the tooth, including the cusp and tips. After the infection has been removed from the cavity, your dentist will place a temporary onlay on the tooth until the permanent onlay arrives at the office.
Advantages of Porcelain Inlays and Onlays
There are several advantages of porcelain inlays and onlays for correcting damage to the teeth. In many instances, porcelain inlays and onlays:
- Provide a cost-effective solution to repairing a compromised tooth
- Produce a beautiful, natural-looking option (versus noticeable gold and/or metal-alloy fillings)
- Create a protective coating on the tooth to halt further damage
- Promote durability and longevity, lasting up to ten to fifteen years
- Allow patients to brush and clean teeth normally, and are often easier to keep bacteria and plaque-free
Are You a Candidate for Porcelain Inlays and Onlays?
If you have a tooth or teeth in need of repair or protection from extensive decay, porcelain inlays and onlays are often a perfect solution. In some cases, Dr. Ravin may recommend crowns or veneers depending on the degree of damage. To find out for sure which type of restoration would best accommodate your needs, we recommend scheduling a consultation with us.
During your exam, Dr. Ravin will assess the affected area(s), discuss your past and present health, and offer suggestions on the various type of cosmetic and restorative dental options. You’ll also have an opportunity to ask questions and share your smile goals.
If you’d like to know more about the process of porcelain inlays and onlays or other cosmetic dentistry procedures, contact us any time at 860-524-5194. One of our professional, friendly and knowledgeable HDG team members will be happy to assist you.