Over time, our teeth naturally succumb to staining and discoloration. Many of the foods we eat and drinks we enjoy dull and lessen the whiteness and brightness of our smiles. While many claims are made professing the effectiveness of over-the-counter (OTC) teeth whitening kits, certain types of toothpaste and various home remedies, are they really as effective as a professional teeth whitening session? At Hospital Dental Group (HDG), we offer our patients a reliable, safe and lasting means of achieving the whiter, brighter smile they’ve always wanted.
Potential Causes That Lead to the Need for Teeth Whitening
There are multiple scenarios that cause our teeth to lose their luster. Here are some of the factors that can affect the whiteness and brightness of teeth:
- Common Beverages and Foods
- Many people know about the staining power of coffee and tea, but did you know foods like beets, blueberries, balsamic vinegar and even curry can alter the color of your teeth?
- Thinning of the tooth’s enamel is a natural circumstance resulting from aging. As the enamel wears, the “dentin” underneath produces a yellow appearance.
- Smoking and Vaping
- The tar and nicotine contained in tobacco result in a stubborn yellowing staining of the teeth.
- Injury and Trauma
- Much like the dentin that can show through due to wearing of the enamel from aging, trauma and injury to a tooth can also cause dentin to darken.
- Certain types of medications, including antibiotics, antihistamines, blood pressure medications, chemotherapy and antipsychotics, can alter the coloring of teeth.
- Poor Hygiene Habits
- A buildup of plaque leads to dulling and discoloration due to lack of routine oral hygiene.
Why Professional Teeth Whitening Is Most Effective
There are at least a dozen OTC products that claim to whiten and brighten teeth. There are also probably just as many (or more) home remedies supposedly suitable for whitening teeth. One major category of teeth whitening products contain peroxide and/or bleaching agents. While products that contain peroxide and bleaching agents often lighten the coloration of the teeth, they can be dangerous—especially for individuals with tooth sensitivity.
It’s difficult to know how OTC varieties will affect the teeth and gums, or how effective they’ll be at whitening teeth.
Similarly, at-home teeth whitening and DIY teeth whitening remedies such as baking soda and charcoal make promises to whiten teeth, but ultimately, don’t make much of an impact. The outcome doesn’t last long, and can even be harmful to teeth.
To obtain the kind of results you want, go for professional teeth whitening.
The HDG Teeth Whitening Difference
At HDG, Dr. Anatoliy Ravin takes the time to assess which type of teeth whitening process will work best for your needs. Our Ultradent Teeth Whitening in-office system is safe for your teeth, will brighten your smile several shades lighter, and won’t dehydrate your teeth like some other teeth whitening processes do. We also offer Ultradent Boost, a take-home treatment with customized trays.
To achieve the white and bright results you want, we’d love to help you set up a professional teeth whitening session. Contact us now at 860-524-5194.