According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC,) a minimum of seven-plus hours of sleep per night is recommended for adults and between eight and thirteen hours for children. For individuals who experience sleep-related issues such as sleep apnea, temporomandibular disorders (TMD) and bruxism (teeth grinding), striving for the suggested sleep guidelines (or even a few hours of sleep) can feel like an uphill battle.
At Hospital Dental Group, we’re dedicated to helping patients find the perfect sleep solutions to achieve successful, peaceful and uninterrupted rest.
What Kinds of Conditions Can Be Aided by Dental Sleep Solutions?
Did you know that, according to the American Sleep Association, 25 Million U.S. adults experience obstructive sleep apnea? Despite a large population of people who get little to no relief counting sheep and suffer from a lack of sleep due to sleep apnea and other related issues, there is hope. There are several conditions that can be helped by dental sleep solutions. Dr. Anatoliy Ravin routinely addresses problematic issues that affect restful sleep, including:
- Sleep Apnea
- Other sleep-related breathing disorders (SRBDs) that include symptoms such as:
- Interrupted Sleep
Dentists can be insightful and beneficial in addressing SRBDs. In fact, a recent approval of a 2017 American Dental Association policy helped to further define the specific role of dentists in addressing and providing sleep solutions (such as those outlined above). This includes:
- Identifying a patient’s risk for SRBD
- Providing referrals to physicians when warranted
- Implementation of an oral appliance such as SomnoDent MAS appliance or the Silent Nite® appliance
- Management of side effects
- Ongoing education and communication of sleep solutions to new and existing dental patients
What Kinds of Sleep Solutions Are There and How Do They Work?
Many people have heard of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy to treat sleep apnea. Although this device, which involves an individual wearing a facial mask while sleeping, can significantly aid those who suffer from sleep apnea, not all patients respond well to this particular sleep solution apparatus. Alternative sleep solutions for sleep apnea, TMD and bruxism include:
- SomnoDent MAS Appliance
- As a custom-fitted dental device, the SomnoDent MAS appliance is a more comfortable alternative to CPAP therapy and/or surgery. The device smoothly adjusts the lower jaw to a forward position and prevents the tongue from blocking the airway.
- Silent Nite® Appliance
- Similar to the SomnoDent MAS appliance, the Silent Nite appliance helps to reposition the lower jaw and keep the airway free from obstruction through the use of gentle, comfortable BPA-free trays to be worn while sleeping.
- Custom-made mouthguards can significantly help in preventing bruxism by protecting the teeth from grinding, which can potentially lead to tooth decay and tooth loss.
A Solution for You
Have you experienced trouble sleeping due to sleep apnea, snoring or teeth grinding? If so, Hospital Dental Group may have the sleeping solution you’ve been hoping for. To find out for sure, it’s best to schedule a consultation with one of our professional, friendly and knowledgeable staff members. Contact us now at 860-524-5194.