If you’ve ever heard of orthodontics, you automatically think braces. And you’re right! Orthodontics is the prevention and treatment of irregularities in teeth and jawbone with the aid of braces.
Other than braces and straight teeth what are the other reasons and benefits of orthodontics in Hartford? Below you’ll read about some of the main reasons people choose orthodontic care.
Reasons for Orthodontic Treatment
- Spacing – Gaps in teeth may be caused by missing teeth or teeth that are too small or too large.
- Crowding – When all of your teeth cannot fit normally within the jaw causing crooked or malpositioned teeth.
- Underbite – When the lower jaw extends out causing the bottom front teeth to extend in front of the top front teeth.
- Crossbite – Where one or more of the top teeth sit inside of the lower jaw.
- Open Bite – The front upper and lower teeth are forced outwards where they never overlap or touch each other. An open bite can be caused by tongue thrusting, thumb sucking, or sucking of the lower lip.
- Overbite – The upper front teeth extend past the lower front teeth sometimes causing the lower front teeth to touch the roof of the mouth.
- Overjet – Where the top teeth overlap the bottom teeth, leaving a protruding gap between the upper and lower teeth.
Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
Some simply choose orthodontic treatment to improve their smile and self-esteem, but the benefits of orthodontic care go much deeper.
Misaligned jaws or overcrowded teeth can provide the perfect environment for plaque buildup, tooth decay, gum disease, breathing or swallowing issues, premature wear of teeth, and speech impairments. Orthodontic treatment diminishes those hot spots giving you another chance at a healthy smile.
By receiving traditional braces or Invisalign not only can you improve your oral health and prevent further damage to your oral health .
It’s time to improve your oral health today by contacting Hospital Dental Group. Turn that frown upside down with orthodontics in Hartford.
Related Tags: Orthodontics Hartford | Making You Smile With Invisalign